England Football Team Quiz
Easy QuestionsMost of these are taken from the last twenty years so younger team members are more likely to be able to get them.
- Who is the youngest player to have been capped for England's full team (as of May 2007)?
Answer: Theo Walcott was 17 years and 75 days old when he appeared against Hungary at Old Trafford on May 30th 2006
- What was the score when England beat Germany in Munich on 1st September 2001?
- Who scored the penalty to beat Argentina 1-0 in the 2002 World Cup's so-called "Group of Death" match?
Answer: David Beckham
- Who holds the current record for the most caps awarded to an England player?
Answer: Peter Shilton 125 caps
- Which current England star had many of his caps stolen when his house was burgled in July 2006?
Answer: Wayne Rooney
- Frank Lampard and Stevie Gerrard did not score their penalties in the shoot-out against Portugal at the end of the World Cup 2006 quarter-final. Who was the third player who could not convert his spot-kick?
Answer: Jamie Carragher
- Two current England players (in 2007) have scored hat-tricks in full internationals. Michael Owen is one of them, can you name the other?
Answer: Peter Crouch, in a friendly against Jamaica at Old Trafford on 3rd June 2006
- Current England number one goalie Paul Robinson's unfortunate gaff against Croatia in October 2006 prevented him from overhauling which legendary England keeper's record of seven clean sheets in a row?
Answer: Gordon Banks, between 4th May and 26th July 1966
- Who is the only England player to have been sent off twice?
Answer: David Beckham, a straight red against Argentina in the 1998 World cup and two yellows against Austria in a 2006 qualifier.
- England's best performance in a European Championship was reaching the semi-finals against Germany in 1996. Two Premiership managers played in the team that lost on that day, one was Stuart Pearce, who is the other?
Answer: Gareth Southgate, currently at Middlesbrough
A little bit harderThese questions go back in time and are a little more obscure, good for fanatics.
- Who is the OUTFIELD player who has been awarded the most caps for England?
Answer: Bobby Moore, awarded his 108th cap against Italy, 14th November 1973 (Peter Shilton has 125 but is not an outfield player).
- Which England legend holds the record for the most hat-tricks scored in internationals?
Answer: Jimmy Greaves
- In which year was the first ever international, between England and Scotland?
- The first England cap was awarded in which year?
- In 1908 England went on a short European tour and played their first official internationals against teams from outside the British Isles. Which two national sides did they play?
Answer: Austria (twice) and Hungary; they won all three matches.
- In which year did England first contest the World Cup?
Answer: 1950, in Brazil; England failed to qualify from the group stage.
- Who was the youngest England player on the pitch for the 1966 World Cup final?
Answer: Blackpool's Alan Ball
- Who was the oldest player to be capped for England?
Answer: Stanley Matthews, he was 42 years and 103 days old when he played against Denmark on 15th May 1957
- Which legendary player heads the goal-scoring table for England?
Answer: Bobby Charlton, 49 goals.
- Who has scored the most goals for England at World Cup tournaments?
Answer: Gary Lineker with eleven. Seven goals in Mexico in 1986 (winning the Golden Boot) and four at Italia '90